LESSON 8 - NUMBER 7

Chapter 7


The morning air was cool and there was a gentle breeze blowing from the ocean up to our cave. Mum was sitting an the edge of the cave and looking out over the sea. In her hand she held the shell and I watched as she gently placed it on her ear. She sat still for a very long time, then she smiled and looked at me, and called me to sit on her lap. The shell had told her an important story and she shared it with me.

Many many years ago God was angry with the people on the earth. They had been bad and he wanted to punish them. But one man called Noah had been good so God decided to help him. He told Noah to build a big boat called an Ark and to fill it with pairs of all the animals on the earth.

Once this was done it began to rain, and it rained until the whole earth was covered in water. Noah and his family floated for a long time until a dove came back with a twig from the top an Olive tree. Noah now knew that the water was drying up and the ark would soon rest on land.

God then spoke to Noah and his family and told them that he would never flood the earth again.
A beautiful rainbow appeared as god promise.
Mum looked at me, gave me a kiss, and told me that everytime I see a rainbow it should remind me of gods love for us.

Working with the number 7

Put 7 pearls into your counting shell and place in front of your child. I do this before the story starts as I set out the table.

On practice paper, draw the arches of the rainbow with block crayons. Once your child has mastered this, then draw a rainbow in your main lesson book, while he copies your work.
Teach your child the Roman numeral VII and the number 7 and show him where to write these on the page.
Here is an example of my work and Thomas' [6 yrs 3mnths] copy work

Across the sky and down from heaven,
That’s the way to make a seven!

NUMBER 7

Here is a bridge of wondrous light

Full of colours shining bright

Red and orange, yellow and green

The fairest colours ever seen

Blue, Indigo, and violet rose

Down from heaven to earth it goes.

Rainbow Song

Red and orange and yellow and green,

Purple and indigo and blue.

I can sing a rainbow,Sing a rainbow,

You can sing one too!

Listen with your eyes,

Listen with your eyes,

And sing everything you see.

You can sing a rainbow,

Sing a rainbow,

Sing a long with Red and orange and yellow and green,

Purple and Indigo and blue.

You can sing a rainbow,

Sing a rainbow,

Now you've sung one too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my grade 1 maths blog.

It is a record of our grade 1 year with mathematics and the formdrawings and art work that were inspired from this journey.

I hope my writings will inspire you to follow your heart and teach your child with much imagination and love.

To access files is really easy, on the right you can see a list titled, ARTICLES and BLOCK 1 - NUMBERS. Choose the sub header that you require and click on it.

At the beginning of each block, please first read the relevant articles and then the introduction for each block. These contain important information including a supplies/resource list and teaching ideas.

I wish you a great journey in maths

About Me

My photo
I love natural yarns that are hand dyed creatively. I am passionate about raising my children in a way that they develop a sensitivity for the world and all that exists on it.